Thursday, May 14, 2009

Music soothes the soul

Simona has been playing in the Granite Youth Symphony, which is a group chosen from all of Granite School District. The kids in this clip are all in Jr. High--7th, 8th and 9th graders.

Mojo has played her clarinet with them for two summers and two school years. During the summer the kids practice very early in the morning for one month, put on a couple of concerts and then go to Lagoon. All that practice makes a huge difference in their playing. She jumped leaps and bounds, or as Grandpa would say, "tooted her horn." During the school year, the kids play one afternoon a week and have a few concerts. Sometimes they get to go places, although that didn't really happen for her. Maybe only the senior group tours. I guess we'll find out next year.

This summer she'll be working at scout camp so she won't be around for those early mornings. Hmmm. Darn.

You can't really see Moni in this shot because the clarinets are buried, but they sound pretty good!

I love hearing my kids play--Taylor plays trombone, valve and slide. Because of the valves, he can also play the baritone and a tuba, and I think something else, but I don't remember. He just had his last concert this week. I got some good pictures of him--perhaps I'll remember to post them!

Dante has been playing a cornet. Next year in Jr. High he'll be so much better--I love when they move from elementary to Jr. High where they have band every day. And the teacher there is really good--she actually teaches music! And--hello--the kids have to practice. Makes such a difference.

Moni also plays the saxophone--tenor. She loves that and wants her own. One of these days perhaps she'll earn enough money! We saw one a week ago that she fell in love with. That didn't help.

Jake keeps changing his mind on what he wants to play. It was drums for a long time, but I think I've talked him into something he can actually carry. So, now he wants a bassoon. Can you carry that??

3 comments:

Luke and Niki said...

I think with our whole family of music players we could create our own symphony!!! lol

They sounded great! Go Moni!!

Peterson Family said...

I played the Clarinet too!! That's awesome that she can play the sax too... I think that she should totally buy a silver one, I always thought that they were cool. :)

Good for ALL of your kids... a bassoon... hmmm... that may be a little tricky to carry. I played bass clarinet one year and that case was BIG, I usually left it at the school in my band locker. I think that I took it home on the weekends.

orangemily said...

I love hearing your kids play too!