
Old Swampy
You can even see part of the book behind Swampy--see, I'm not so creative as all this. . . but it does give me some ideas of where to go from here.
T.V. dinner turned out great! I did the chicken legs and Taylor did the rest. At first he wasn't very interested, but before I knew what he was doing, he had this part finished. It was a lot of fun. This isn't the best angle to see the chicken legs, but they did look like legs.
The pigs weren't as fun as the rest, but they were cute. Next year I'll make pigs, sheep and chicks, along with a barn. Yes, I saw that in a picture.
I love the corn on the cob! It was so fun to make. I was just laughing the whole time. As soon as I had three jelly beans in a row, it started to look like real corn. And of course I bought new corn holders--I promise I didn't use the rusty ones from my drawer. I love the pepper, too.
Simona made a beautiful butterfly and Jake made a dirt/worm cake. Naturally he had to bid on his worm cake--so I ended up paying $17 for his cake (that I already paid for) that we could have re-created for probably $3. Oh well. I can't even begin to say how much I spent on the "fixings" for these cakes, but I have quite a few leftovers. It was my first try and next time I'll know what to look for, but this was a lot of fun. People at the auction loved them, too, so that was cool. We all had fun making them.
You can even see part of the book behind Swampy--see, I'm not so creative as all this. . . but it does give me some ideas of where to go from here.
T.V. dinner turned out great! I did the chicken legs and Taylor did the rest. At first he wasn't very interested, but before I knew what he was doing, he had this part finished. It was a lot of fun. This isn't the best angle to see the chicken legs, but they did look like legs.
The pigs weren't as fun as the rest, but they were cute. Next year I'll make pigs, sheep and chicks, along with a barn. Yes, I saw that in a picture.
I love the corn on the cob! It was so fun to make. I was just laughing the whole time. As soon as I had three jelly beans in a row, it started to look like real corn. And of course I bought new corn holders--I promise I didn't use the rusty ones from my drawer. I love the pepper, too. Simona made a beautiful butterfly and Jake made a dirt/worm cake. Naturally he had to bid on his worm cake--so I ended up paying $17 for his cake (that I already paid for) that we could have re-created for probably $3. Oh well. I can't even begin to say how much I spent on the "fixings" for these cakes, but I have quite a few leftovers. It was my first try and next time I'll know what to look for, but this was a lot of fun. People at the auction loved them, too, so that was cool. We all had fun making them.
I even made a batch of fudge, but it wasn't my best effort so I only took two small tins for the $5 table. I couldn't ask people to bid on imperfect fudge--or "wudge" as we call it at our house. Corky said he was going to call Grandma and tell her that I walked away from the stove while making candy. I know--that's the first rule--you never try to do too many things while making candy and you never leave the stove. How many cakes did I make? I didn't even mention the one that fell on the floor. Poor Jake. I have an old table where I was storing the cakes so they'd be out of the kitchen and out of the way. I warned the kids not to put any pressure on the leaf that was out, but he forgot. It was Corky's Favorite Lemon Bundt Cake. Oh well, we got pieces of it. And, I can make another one! And, not like we hadn't had our fill of cake. . .
I hope Emily took pictures of the butterfly and the worm cakes. Hey, I guess they kind of go together!
Wudge you ask? Well, Dante loves wudge. When he was little and I'd make fudge, he called it wudge. An "f" came out as a "w" for certain words. Wudge was one of them, and it stuck. He'd ask me all the time if I'd make him some wudge. He even got to help stir it. I pour the wudge out into tins--which by the way, keep the wudge nice and fresh if you remember to put the lid on--but a tin of wudge doesn't last long at my house. I like it when it's still hot, so I lick the spoon and rarely eat any more wudge, but everyone else likes it. Dante has even crossed out the word "fudge" on my recipe card and now it says: Grandma's Wudge.
6 comments:
This post made me laugh! I am sorry about the ruined cakes and the expensive cake. What a fun story to tell.
oh, Adam is me, Anna.
I didn't bother to tell you how much I spent bidding on cakes. There was one that Corky wanted more than any other, but so did everyone else. It was a Reese's cheesecake. We were ready to sell it off in pieces--$5 a slice! It was a great night. So many people came--it was wonderful.
Oh I know how much you spent on bidding (the joy of being Treasurer)! You practically supprt the Cub Scouts all your own, wink wink!
I sure had fun, I loe the cake auction. I'll have to look through my pictures and see what I have.
All of your cakes were so awesome!
Could you put the wudge recipe up, please?
Send your left overs over here!! Those look great!! The TV dinner and corn on the cobs were my favorite!
i remember cake auctions at my elementry school. i didnt understand the process either so my dad would have to fork out like 25 bucks for a cake that for sure
did not look like that!! LOL
Post a Comment