Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Fishing Charm--Grandpa's Hat

Jake sporting "the hat."

I can't remember if I talked about Jake going fishing while we were at the fair this fall. There is a little fishing pond and every year we look at it and there are too many kids or it just closed, or something. But we've never been able to fish. Well, we walked by, it said it was open, and there were no kids in there. The lady standing there wasn't acting like she was going to let us in, so I asked if it was open--of course I didn't see all the kids sitting down getting their fishing instructions. She said they were full, then looked around to see if anyone was watching and asked if it was just Jake. Yup. Just Jake. So--thank you dear woman--she let us in!

Jake got his fishing instructions and got to fish. He was wearing the hat Grandma let him choose--one of Grandpa's hats. Jake figured it had to be good luck since Grandpa was a good fisherman. We had a great time fishing. It was catch and release, which is perfect because what would I do with a wriggling catfish all the way home? I think they finally did that so people wouldn't leave fish stinking all over the fairgrounds. Or perhaps that's why it was always busy when we were leaving--everyone else was doing the same thing so they could take the fish right home.

He tried a couple of different spots around the pond.







He caught the big one! I'm sure he was grateful he didn't have to touch the fish at all. There were several Fish and Game guys around to do the dirty work and help the kids whenever they needed it. Makes for a happy mom, too.





Look at that happy face!

He actually has a big fish story to go along with this picture. He'll tell you sometime. . .

1 comment:

Peterson Family said...

What a cute kid!! I love that she let you guys in anyways, very cool. Grandpa's hat looks good on him! ;)

I LOVE the part about not having to touch the fish... that's MY kind of fishin'! hehe