Well here I am again. I have to say that we have learned the "Thomas" verse (I keep thinking of Thomas the Train, or Thomas the Tankus as Jake used to say--but he's the wrong guy), and I think the kids like it. At least the teachers do. The line I wasn't so sure about got changed--I couldn't remember it exactly, so I had to come up with something when I was making the "teaching poster." So it goes like this--loves to tell us stories, shows the Savior's way. I think I like it better than what I had before. I hesitated on the "shows"--should it have been show? I couldn't decide if it was referring to the stories or Thomas. So I opted for Thomas and left it "shows." As in he shows the Savior's way.
This week was crazy. I guess I have to start with last week. They asked me at the last minute to go into the Nursery--nobody seemed to know exactly why. One counselor said they were talking about music and wanted me to come. Yeah right. They wanted me to sing with the Nursery kids--that would have been great if I'd known and been prepared. I would have taken cute things for them to hold while they listened to me sing--since they wouldn't be singing with me. Then, they weren't ready for me--they were finishing their snack and sitting at a table. That doesn't work. But, they didn't know when I was coming, same as I didn't know what I was coming for. Oh well. So, now they want me to come every week.
On the way out, I told the counselor who happened to be there with me, No. I can't do this. I already prepare every week for Cub Scouts and every week for Primary. I just can't do this as well. It's a completely different set of preparations, and I can't do one more thing every single week. I said please find somebody else! In one ward we were in, they had this as a separate calling--wouldn't that be great to have your calling to just go sing in the Nursery for 10 minutes every Sunday? I could handle that, if that's all I were doing. Wow, I'd really be prepared!
So all week long I fretted about this. Saturday was nuts because I had put off my preparations. I cut and colored and laminated and glued sticks to little animals for Old MacDonald. I had fish for Three Little Fishies and a Mama Fishie, Too. I had little sunbeams for Jesus Wants Me for a Sunbeam. I had shakers for each of the kids for the Happy Song--you know the one that goes Ducks in the pond quack a happy song, mother hens cackle the whole day long. . . That one.
Then, for the regular Primary I glued popped corn to a branch for "Popcorn Popping," made popcorn balls (2 batches) for all of the kids (55 popcorn balls) and traced Corky on a long piece of paper, wrote the new Thomas verse, erased my pencil marks and just about collapsed. I think I would have, but after the tracing, Corky went over lines for me and drew the pants and jacket and fixed the head, etc. I then used Sharpie and made the permanent lines. Thanks Corky!
Most of the kids were happy with caramel popcorn--I had one complainer and I told her if she kept it up, she'd get nothing. Evidently she wanted cheese popcorn. Bummer for her. I told her, as well as the rest of the kids, that at my house, if you complain, you lose what you would have gotten. She looked shocked, but she stopped. She always complains, corrects and bosses. Drives me crazy.
Then the kids colored. Well, some of them colored, some scribbled. And some of the older kids scribbled even more than the younger ones--what the heck? The girls at least thought they needed to "fix" what the Jr. Primary had done. The little kids were so concerned that I hadn't drawn a face, and that at least three little girls immediately ran to the head and started drawing eyes. First they were yellow, but since that didn't show up, another girl was there ready with her pink crayon. Then someone added purple around the eyes and some red eyelashes. One of the older girls was incensed that he had green and orange hair. Oh well. Little kids aren't very discretionary when it comes to what color something is; the only important thing is that they like the color. I'm certain one leg has more crayon on it than a full box of crayons could provide. Oh well, I think they had fun. They wrote their names and some wrote notes to him.
I wanted to take a photo of the kids and send it along with the poster, but of course my batteries were all dead. Why is it that every time you really want a picture, those darn batteries decide to give up? That's okay, I'll take the poster next week, let kids sign who weren't there this week and then take the photo.
I think the outcome is Thomas and the Suit of Many Colors. I hope nobody tries to sell him to the Midianite traders. That might not go over very well.
But, the good news of the crazy Saturday/Sunday is this--I was prepared for Nursery, but didn't have to do it. I went to check on them to see when they would be ready, there were two different leaders and they didn't really want me to come at all. I was tempted to go anyway since I was prepared, but then I decided no, don't set the precedent. The counselor there yesterday said--don't go. So I followed my leader, how's that? She said in their presidency meeting she stuck up for me and said that I spend more time every week with the kids than any of them, and that somebody else should do the Nursery music. I love her!! So, I have some Nursery things, but maybe I can find a way to use them in the regular Primary. All the kids love to hold something and sing. Works for me!
Now, this week I need to get going on Simona's fancy dress for the dance coming up. I have part of it cut out, but there's more to go than what's already done. A lot more. Too many things to do.
5 comments:
Wow! You are always so busy!!
You would do a great job singing with the Nursery, but I agree you already have enough going on.
I can't wait to see how Moni's dress turns out!
Holy cow! I am glad you stuck up for yourself. I would have been exhausted and cried at the thought of adding one more thing to prepare for. But good for you for doing your best to make it fun instead of just showing up. KUDOS, a million of them!
Thanks!! I love having fans (the people type).
P.S. The kids LOVED the caramel popcorn! My class was reverent the whole time so they could eat it at the end of the lesson.
We got home and Moira said I needed to make "Sticky Popcorn" so she could have more.
You know, kudos to you for telling that little girl to stop whining!! There are so many parents who don't correct that annoying behavior and it's aweful for us teachers!! Not to mention primary teachers who let their kids walk all over them... but I digress.
Sounds to me like you put a ton of effort into your preparations (as every teacher should) and I am glad that you stuck around and did it. Good for you! Who the crap complains when someone in nursery WANTS to entertain the kids?! Seriously? I would have LOVED having you in nursery when I had that calling. hehe
Post a Comment