Friday, November 7, 2008



November 6, 2008

Tonight at 6:15 p.m., Edward Milton Richardson, my sweet father-in-law, passed away. I am so sad. He was such a wonderful man; I truly love him. I met him before I met his wonderful son, Corky. When I came home from my mission, I went to a Singles' Ward and Bishop Richardson made me feel very welcome. He reminded me so much of my dad, and it was always a comfort to see him smiling at me, along with everyone else, from up on the stand. He was truly the "Father of the Ward."

We got a phone call in the early afternoon that Grandad wasn't doing very well, so I took care of things at home (missing my first day as a new Cub Scout leader), picked up Corky and we went to the VA Nursing Home where Grandad has been a resident for almost two months. We were so lucky to be there with him during his last hours. He was so ready to go. His poor, frail body looked nothing like the man I had known. I could not believe the difference in him from the last time I had seen him. A week ago, Grandad was doing okay. He had fallen out of bed twice in the past week and cut his head open. I think the second time really was what sped things along. He hadn't eaten since about Monday, and his body didn't want to be there any longer.


Corky's brothers Steve (and Kim) and Tim (and Alisha) and I were all there along with Grammy, Andrea Richardson. I am so blessed to have been a part of it. Corky gave his dad a blessing, telling his spirit that it was okay to let go. He had done his work here on earth, and really with Alzheimer's disease, he was gone a long time ago. Corky has said goodbye to his dad more than once, and has missed the dad he had known for quite a few years. I was glad that he got to give this blessing and tell his dad how much he loved him and how much he had meant to all of us.


Even when you are preparing for this moment, and know that it is imminent, I don't think you can ever really be ready. I have never been with a person before when they passed from this life to the next, but it was very sweet. We knew he was gone. And once he took his last breath, the look on his face was actually much more peaceful than it had been for the several hours prior to that fateful moment.


I miss you Grandad. I love you. Thank you for being such a wonderful man. I am so grateful for the Plan of Salvation and the understanding we have of what life and death is all about. Death is just as big a part of living as is birth.


This Wednesday, the kids in our ward are doing baptisms at the Temple. Ed Richardson was the only member of the Church from his family. We have hundreds of names of his ancestors for which we need to do temple work. On Wednesday, we will bury the body of Ed Richardson at just about the same time the kids in the ward will be doing baptisms for his ancestors. Do you think he will be there with them as they watch this event? I hope so. It's because of him that we have these names; because of him that their work will be done.

Again, I am so grateful to have been able to partake of the goodness of this wonderful man. We lived at their home for a few months, and while we were there, I could see that he always wanted peace around him. He did whatever he could to make everyone happy, sacrificing his own wishes. He knew when to stay quiet, but also when to speak up. He was always happy and friendly, kind and well mannered, right to the end. What a blessing he has been to all of us who knew him.

I love you so much.

4 comments:

orangemily said...

It makes me cry again to read this, but I know he's in a better place where there's no pain and his mind and body fully function!
It was nice that Moira and I got to meet hime once.
I'm so grateful for eternal families!

Peterson Family said...

Give Corky a big hug for me. It was hard to watch Mark go through that experience (it was hard on me too, but I am sure that nothing quite compares when it's your own parent). It's still so difficult even though you know they are in a better place having their own special reunion with family. You guys are in my thoughts and prayers. Thank goodness for the Gospel and knowing that you will see him again!

Luke and Niki said...

I am sorry to hear about Corky's Dad. I cant imagine it being an easy thing to go through...for the both of you. Thank goodness we have knowledge of the big H.F.'s eternal plan for us.
We love you guys so much!

Sally said...

Thanks everyone. This has been really hard, but also very good. I was lucky enough to be with Grandad and to help dress him in his temple robes. What a sweet experience that was. Having people care and know that they love us makes it all so much easier. Thank you.