Okay, my "bummer" about watching football must be taken as sarcastic. I hope that's completely understood. I did not miss it. But I know Grandpa likes to watch and Corky will watch with him, but generally I don't. I did, however, watch parts of the Utah-BYU game and cheered in all the appropriate places. And of course, we were wearing RED and screamed and yelled at the end of the victorious game. But that's another story.
And--I failed to mention another thing. I started telling about the belt on our car, or in our car--whatever. A couple of winters ago, it slipped every time it got wet outside. Nasty deal. Gratefully I was pretty close to home and not trying to get home from work in the middle of the night. So, last week we replaced the tensioner and the idler pulley--they work with the belt. But we had to put on a belt that had once been in our car, but not for a long time. So we'd just kept it in the back, just in case. Well, when all these other things were replaced, we used that belt because I neglected to purchase a new one. It squeeked and squeeled. So Wally, my handy-dandy mechanic neighbor, who I pay in cash but tip in pies, said we should get a new one. Didn't happen before we left for Idaho. I had the newly-purchased belt in the car awaiting its proper place, but alas, was not in its proper place. We got home and Corky decided to get gas and wash the car since it was filthy. He went through the car wash, and guess what--belt slipped off. I called Wally and told him I'd been praying for that belt, but here we were, safe and sound at home and ready for his services--once again. Can I say how grateful I am for a guy who knows how to fix my car? Corky and I are totally happy to know Wally. Sounds like that's the only reason we like him--don't get that idea. He's a great neighbor. And he likes my pies.
So, I am thankful that the belt stayed in its place while we were travelling and that we didn't have to be towed someplace and pay tons to have it replaced (even though we had a replacement belt--one guy wanted to charge me $50 just to put it on). Perhaps the belt slipped off because Corky went through the car wash on Sunday evening? I don't know about that. But I am grateful that it happened when it did (not counting the trip), but because Corky was there to help. I hate dealing with the car but I usually have to, since I'm the one home and the one driving it. These things always happen when Corky's at work, so this time, he totally took care of it for me. Thanks Corky. Thanks Wally. Thanks especially to One who was looking out for us on our trip. I am truly grateful for that.
Oh, P.S. We had a great fireworks display at Grandma's house. For those of you who remember Thanksgiving there, I hope you remember the fireworks. On Friday evening, there is a huge display. It's great because we just go outside, set up the lawn chairs on Grandma's patio, bundle up, turn up the music and watch. I was at the store earlier that day and heard someone ask another person if they were "going to the fireworks." Made me do a double take because we don't have to "go." We are already there. Thanks for the fireworks Grandma!
3 comments:
I guess it's been too long since I have been there for Thanksgiving. I don't remember the fireworks. I remember being bundled up and cold outside, but not the fireworks. Sad.
Gotta love Wally!
Fireworkrs, awesome!
Okay Natalie--do you remember the year your family came for Thanksgiving and all got sick? You all left holding "barf bags." It was a bunch of sad-looking kids leaving in the car and a couple of worried parents. I remember that one. . .
Post a Comment