Hmm. Summer. It's actually the end of summer and I can't even believe it. Taylor and Simona have been at Bear Lake Scout Camp working all summer--and loving it. They went in the middle of June and now they are almost finished--Saturday they'll be coming home. I'm sure they'll be thrilled with their last check since they've only been paid once so far. Money is good, right? Moni was very excited since this is her first job (other than babysitting) and had her money spent a hundred different ways before she even started. I think the thing she wants most is a saxophone--we saw a beautiful sax called the "Raven" that she fell in love with. Too bad she'll have to work next summer as well to have enough money for it.
Beautiful Bear Lake
Taylor getting ready for the flag ceremony

Dante and Jake on Taylor's bunk, pining for the day when they can work at scout camp
Simona in her tent (this was Grandpa George's scout shirt--cool, huh?)
This last weekend they decided to stay at camp. That was really weird at home. We've been used to them being gone all week, but they usually come home on Saturday, wash clothes and shop for snacks for the upcoming week, then go back on Sunday. There is a bus that takes them--gratefully. The first year Taylor was there, we had a carpool to pick up and take the kids to Bear Lake. So all last week and this week, there have only been four of us at home. We've had fun, though. We definitely took advantage of fewer children at home--we've seen a couple of movies and gone out to dinner more than we would have. Don't tell the big kids!!!
One week in July, Dante and his scout troop actually went to Bear Lake for scout camp. That was a strange week, with only Jake at home. I was worried all week about how the kids were acting toward one another at camp. You know how siblings are--it was either going to be wonderful or totally horrible. I could just hear the voice on the phone: Please come and pick up all three of your children at the hospital in Logan. One has a broken arm, one has a broken nose, and the other has a bloody fist. Or something like that. I confided in my friend these concerns--her husband was at camp. She left me a message, laughing, saying she had been able to phone her husband who said, not to worry, the kids are being very kind to one another--too kind in his opinion. He thought it was almost sickening the way they were acting with each other; all sweet and lovey. Hallelujah! I was so happy. I had been praying for good things for all three of them all week long. I just didn't want any one of them to come home that week upset with a sister or brother. Wow--all of them were happy. So, what's the deal at home?
Dante had a good week at camp--he earned five merit badges, and almost another one. He was very proud of the fact that he was the only scout from our ward who earned his Archery merit badge. He got all his shots (or points or something) on the first day. The other boys went back and practiced subsequent days and still didn't get enough points. And, he got Rifle Shooting, also with just his initial shots--no extra. Pretty cool. They told him that shooting must run in the family. (Evidently not from his mother. . .) He also earned Canoeing and Rowing and Environmental Science, which he said was boring, but required. I think his favorite was Canoeing. He would have received Pioneering, if only he had finished that darn monkey bridge. What, you ask, is a monkey bridge? No clue. I just know it had a lot of knots and lashings. We'll get that thing figured out, and when we do--you'll get a picture!
When Dante got home, he finished Family Life, Gardening and Swimming. We found this cute lifeguard who agreed to sign up to be a merit badge counselor and teach Swimming to Dante and his friend Isaac. That was great--so with those required merit badges and his other work, last Sunday he was advanced to Star Scout. Well then, you might be wondering, when does he earn Eagle? I'll tell you. If he stays totally on track (which is unlikely), he can have his Eagle in exactly a year. Six months to Life and then another six months to Eagle. He has several more required merit badges partially done, and he really could do this. He can definitely have it before he turns 14, which is a total relief for a mother! He has been good to get a lot of merit badge work done this summer. I'm proud of him.
3 comments:
Richard's exact words regarding your children at camp were, "It's like their in love with each other, it's sickening." Then I had him explain further and he said they were really palling around and being nice to on another.
Here's his take on that week at camp http://vizionstudios.blogspot.com/2009/07/bear-lakewerewolves-and-savage-twelve.html
Way to go Dante!
Wow! Way to go everyone! Sounds like a total blast. . . busy, busy, busy.
That's awesome! I didn't know that they had summer scout camps? Then again my oldest is only 6 1/2, I am sure I am going to know WAY too much about scouting pretty soon! haha I also didn't know that girls could go? Simona was a 'leader' too? Way cool. Wow, I have a lot to learn about scouts. :)
Great job Dante... getting is done by 14 would be awesome!
I think it's awesome that all your kids have a love for scouting, very cool.
Post a Comment