Monday, September 21, 2009

Summer zips by. . .

Wow, summer really has gone and I don't have much to show for it; so how come I've been so busy? At least I've been tired. What's up with that?

Last month Jake turned 9. My baby is 9 years old. He still makes us laugh all the time and he's kind of a crazy kid, but he's still 9. He's not little any more. In fact, he's really big. He's only a inch or two shorter than Dante and wears one size smaller in clothes. His new Sunday shoes are a 7 in men's. That's a killer. He had a party with a bunch of kids at our house. They swam in the pool (put a couple holes in it) and at alien cupcakes and had tons of snow cones. I think they loved the snow cones the most. Jake was thrilled with all the presents. He had 9 or 10 kids come--I figured I didn't need to give him anything after that, but he thought differently.

Jake with one of those light-up things in his mouth. Check out his teeth. You can tell how old he is by the lack of teeth. The other front tooth is finally starting to poke through--he had his supernumerary pulled 1-1/2 years ago, and this one has just wanted to take its time. The tooth next to the large gap is about to come out, so he really won't be able to eat corn on the cob.

G.I.R. cake. Have you ever watched Invader Zim? Dante and Jake quote Zim and his pet dog G.I.R. constantly, at least until I have to put a stop to it, which lasts, hmmm, about 20 minutes, tops. This is G.I.R.

Taylor and Moni gave Jake this great Pirate hat--it even speaks to you in Pirate speak. He was thrilled with the Lego set. He's just getting where he wants to build them, and he's getting pretty good at it, too. My third boy, so how many Lego pieces do we have in our house? How many Lego pieces have I vacuumed up? At the fair this year we visited a Lego exhibit--they said there are 7 Lego set sold every minute, or was it every second? Anyway, I think we have purchased and put together our fair share. They are as prolific in our house as Barbies were a few years ago.



By turning 9, Jake has moved up in the Cub Scout world. He is now in the Bear den, and no longer in my den. I will move up to Bears in January, but I think it's probably a good thing for him to have a break from Mom for a couple of months. I do have to say it's strange to go to Scouts and not have him there. I hope he'll let me continue throughout his "Cub Scout career." I love Bears and Webelos. But after two years, Dante had had enough of his mother being his leader, so maybe with a couple of month-long breaks, Jake will be able to put up with for longer. That would be nice.

Well, at the end of August, Dante and Simona started school. Taylor was feeling a little lost the night before when everyone was rushing around getting things ready to go. He was happy not to be going to school, but I think there was some longing there. Here are a couple of pictures of Dante on his first day. I didn't get any of Moni since she left much earlier, but just picture her with her Batman backpack.

I just noticed that the book facing out is "Attack of the Mutant Killer Underwear." I haven't had the chance to read it yet, but it sounds promising.

Like the faux-hawk? He's looking pretty spiffy.

Family Reunion~~

Wow. Can I just say I love getting together with the whole family? We set up camp again at Grandma's house (not literally--we stayed in a hotel, which was very posh--I'd go there again in a heartbeat). It was a great base for all our "doings." We arrived Friday, had dinner with Arlene, Duff, Kyle and Grandma. Pizza--always a hit. We didn't stay late because we had to shop for and prepare breakfast the next morning. By the way, it was a good breakfast for those of you don't remember or who weren't there. Breakfast burritos--eggs, ham, sausage, hash browns, sauteed veggies (various peppers and onions), cheese, fruit (plums, nectarines, fresh pineapple, cantaloupe). Oh yes, juice and milk. Did I leave out anything (besides the tortillas, which are a given). I think everyone liked it--they ate it anyway! I didn't hear any complaints.

After breakfast everyone joined in and helped clean up Grandma's yard--got it ready for winter and did a few things she's not able to do any more. I stayed inside and dusted. My old job. Hayden came in and helped me--that was nice. She dusted things I don't like to do. The best part about dusting at Grandma's house is the teacups. I always loved dusting them because I got to rearrange them any way I wanted to. Did that again. The next best thing about dusting is carefully picking up a crocheted doily--it leaves the print of the doily in the dust. That was just cool. There isn't really anything else great about dusting, especially when you live next to a field and ten minutes later it's dusty again. Mom used to always say, Sally, I thought you were going to dust. I did! Strange, now I live next to a field and it's always dusty at my house. Actually, I stopped dusting several years ago. Every time I dusted I broke something I loved, so I stopped. Now I dust really well a couple times a year--before I put out Halloween and Christmas decorations, and after I put them away. And now and then during the rest of the year. I love that Dante likes to dust--don't ask questions about that. Just accept it.

Saturday afternoon Ron presented us with shrimp kabobs--how great is that? We snarfed 'em up. Zuki ate her share, that's for sure. She loved 'em. That evening we gathered at the church almost next door to Grandma's house. We played games, ate chicken, pink salad, pink punch, all hosted by Stan, Luan and family. It was great! We presented our various talents, which are always so fun to see. Our family sang our favorite drinking song--The Scotsman. Corky had nearly lost his voice, and since he was our "anchor" I think some of the words were not totally recognizable by the listeners. I, myself, don't know all the words, so I just chimed in here and there. I think Dante knows it the best of the kids.

http://www.allerdice.net/scotsman-song.htm

Check out the words if you'd like. We figured we'd be okay because Grandma wouldn't be able to understand most of it, so it wouldn't be offensive, right? Just have your sense of humor turned on. Okay, I'll stop, it's really not bad.

Dwynne showed the DVD she made of all our family photos. It was marvelous! You're hired girl! Sunday was nice--a little later start for breakfast (and I didn't have to make it)--aebliskivers by Grandma and Lynn. I even got to help cook them (the aebliskivers). Our guests--Hayden and Jessica seemed to love them--okay, they can join the family. They were such good sports and helpers--they even joined in our silly games and of course, the Maori haka. We can't meet without performing our traditional hakas. I am still trying to find the official words for one of them--the Ka Mate is easy to find, but Potene has been elusive. Alissa asked for the words so she can keep up with her boys--they loved it last reunion--but I hate to write them and be totally wrong. Oh well, may have to go that route. . .

Arlene and Duff had stroganoff for our dinner. We were all starving and it was wonderful. She gathered (well I did the actual gathering, but she did the main work) all of the old reels of family movies and had them put on a DVD. How fun is that? Naturally I was the highlight when you got to see my bare behind--I was about 2. It was so fun to see my family as little kids and Mom and Dad so young and full of life, full of promise and hope. I think they provided such a wonderful home environment for us. I always knew I was loved and "part" of the family. Thanks Mom and Dad.

School and more school. Dante started 7th grade and Simona started 10th. So both were in new schools and new situations. I think both longed for what was in the past but familiar. Both have more homework and papers due than what they want. Strange how life is calm and easy because you know what to expect, and then it all falls apart when new things are thrown in your path. Why does that have to be how we learn and grow? I know they have both shed a few tears and had worries that they'd rather not admit to. (Jake is off-track for another week, so he has no complaints at the moment.)

Moni ran for student office--No baloney, vote Moni. Like balogna? Vote Mogna. Stuff like that. But she didn't win, so she gets to do Granite Youth Symphony again. I told her she didn't have time in life for both. She felt a tiny bit guilty because several of her friends tried out--she went at the last minute, hadn't prepared anything, but she was the only one who was accepted. So, where's the lesson in this?

And she's 16! Her birthday was this last Wednesday (pictures to come). My daughter is 16. I know she was hoping for a date that weekend, but it didn't happen. She was going to throw a big party at the park, but then we found out it was Homecoming. Can't compete with that. And this weekend is the General Women's Conference so they won't let us use the church facilities. We can still use the little neighborhood park, but it wasn't what she wanted. So far, nothing is what she wanted. When does that get better? She was having a disappointing birthday--didn't win the election, some YW issues, too much homework and then she couldn't have her party when or where she wanted. And now, I've pretty much given up. She didn't like any of my suggestions--on invitations, food, games, etc. So I'm done. Is that terrible? I just said, you come to me when you want my help, but I'm not making any more suggestions. I'm not so sure it's going to happen. We'll see what she does this week.

Friday is our Cub Scout Cake Auction--our big fundraiser for the year. She thought I could do her party on the same day, somewhere in between making a pot of soup for the potluck, setting up the church, making several cakes to auction and making auction paddles for the bidders. I know you have big ideas when you're 16 and don't really understand the logistics of everything, but I'm really not SuperWoman. I don't even fit in the suit. Wow, do I sound complainy or what? I guess I just don't know what to do! I feel bad that things aren't working out the way she wanted. We had a good chat last night--she's planning to ask a boy to the next dance, next month. I hope that works out!

Oh, another highlight of the summer--I got a new bed! My old bed was 20 years old and you know how they make jokes about you and the other person sharing your bed rolling into the middle on top of each other? Well, that wasn't our bed. There was a ridge in the middle where we didn't sleep and big dents where we did. You had to get in just right with your hip down in the cavern; couldn't adjust because you'd throw your back out. I've had backaches for a few years now, but we finally got a new bed. Funny, because we didn't notice how high the top mattress was until we set it up and stood next to it. I feel like a little girl getting into my parents' bed. My feet don't even touch the floor when I'm sitting on the edge. I'm just glad my sheets fit!

2 comments:

Anna said...

Thanks for the reunion details. I had asked my family to send details but only got a few sentences. :)
Your song reminds me of a real life story my grandpa Zenk shared, about a little boy his mom fostered who didn't want to wear clothes, so she said shame on him for walking around like that, and she tied a blue bow on him. He stopped running around naked after that. Khee hee.

Good luck to Moni. Dating can be awkward and disappointing but just as much fun!

orangemily said...

We had so much fun at Jake's party! Thanks for inviting us!
Invader Zim is funny!
First day of school is so fun, all the nerves and new friends. I like Dante's faux-hawk.
Your family reunion sounds like a blast! I'll have to learn The Scotsman's Song.
I'm excited for the cake auction on Friday. Do you need help with the paddles?
Hooray for a new mattress!