Tuesday, November 2, 2010

I realized I never showed the cakes we made for the Cub Scout Cake Auction this year. It is a huge and very fun event--our fundraiser for the year. And this year was really fun. Some years people get into the bidding and some years they don't so much. This was a good bidding year. Corky really had fun--I could tell he was bidding people up, with no intention to purchase that cake. But he would have. He said later he wanted to make sure that the cakes the Cubs made went for a decent price--he wasn't so worried about the cakes other people made, but the kids. He's a sweetheart, but he'd never admit to that.

So here are a few of the cakes. . .

A purse, by Simona--turned out very cute!

You can't see this very well, but it's a graveyard (not the gluten-free cupcakes in the front). I had little molds that made the skeletons and tombstones, and I made chocolate cakes in tiny loaf pans for the graves. It was fun.

Dante's masterpiece. He wanted to make a "cow pie." So this cake (not pie) is in a pie tin with cows on it. Later he wrote "Cow Pie, literally."

Witch fingers we sold on the $5 table--we also made mummies and pumpkins.

This is Witchy-Poo. Remember her from H. R. Puffenstuff? She was going to be cute, but then when I thought of the icky teeth, I just couldn't resist.

And here's my Frankie. I got the idea for him (and Witchy-Poo) from pictures on a napkin. I thought they looked like good cakes! I really liked Frankie's hair.

Jake's corndog. This one cracked me up. He wouldn't give up the idea of making a corndog, even though I really didn't have time to help much and couldn't figure out what he really wanted to do. Well, I was hoping that he'd kind of forget about it, but once the cakes were baking, he just kept talking about it. Dante's cake only used part of a recipe, so we put the rest into a regular-sized loaf pan. I had Jake put it in the freezer for a little while, then he cut it himself. He came up with a popsicle stick (not sure where it came from, hopefully from my craft stuff and not off his bedroom floor. . .) and then we mixed some frosting. I did help him frost because it gets kind of crumbly if you're not careful. But then he wanted to have red and yellow frosting to make ketchup and mustard. He did that all by himself.

I told Corky that he'd better bid on Jake's cake if nobody else was. I didn't need to worry. It was about the 3rd or 4th cake, and people had their paddles in the air before the auctioneer even started. That cake went for $25! Too funny. It was wonderful and Jake was thrilled.

I know we weren't really on the same level as the cakes we made last year, but that's okay. Maybe next year we'll try some of those again. I didn't have a couple that just didn't work, and maybe I can perfect them for another year, too.

People were very generous and we had a lot of fun. Here are some pictures of cakes other people made. The last one is fondant and very, very nice. It was really way too pretty for our table! But we sold it anyway.

These are a couple of the cheesecakes that everyone fights over--well, really bids. Holy cow--one group of people pooled their money just so they'd have a chance. I bought one for Corky last year, so we didn't go for it this year--still recovering!


A giant cupcake.

Here is the one with fondant--It has the Cub Scout Promise--the 100 on top is 100 Years of Scouting, and the Arrow of Light on the top layer, then the Wolf, Bear and Webelos symbols on the bottom. I say Wow.

Of course a cake auction wouldn't be complete with the appearance of Barbie. Always a hit.

Spider cupcakes. The couple who bought these then handed them out to all the kids. That was nice.

The blue pool is Jell-O. She scooped out the cake, cut the Jell-O in the right shape and plopped it in. Of course the little boy whose mom made this cake really, really wanted it back. He's a dinosaur fanatic. Nice that his grandpa was there, with his cash ready to go.

A Rubik's Cube! How fun is that?

This was Emily's and Richard's contribution--of course all the boys wanted it. Zombie vs. Robot vs. Pirate vs. Ninja, complete with game dice. So very awesome!
We have a soup pot luck dinner, provide the bread, which this year one of our old scout leaders decided he was going to make rolls instead of bringing soup or having us buy the rolls from Costco, like we did last year. There is always so much soup--and it's always very wonderful--that he figured his little pot wouldn't be missed. And we loved the rolls! He and his mom made over 300. I'd say that's some kind of dedication. It's very fun because the last couple of years we've gotten families to come who have nothing to do with Scouts, but because it's Scouts, they contribute. It has become a very fun tradition. I love it!

3 comments:

orangemily said...

The Cake Auction is my favorite ward activity of the year!! We had so much fun! All the cakes were awesome.
Your kids are so creative and I love what they (and you) come up with!
You always do so much. I should have added up how much each of your cakes sold for just so you'd know how much you contribute each year, it's awesome!

Anna said...

Oh my goodness! The cakes the kids made crack me up!!! Tooo creative, funny! What a blast. Good job Sally.

I wish we were allowed to do fun raisers...

Sally said...

Well this is our only fundraiser--the Cub Scouts get one a year. And this is a good one. It was really a blast!
Thanks for the compliment--that means a lot coming from one of the most creative people on the planet. . .