Today while I was sewing my Christmas jammies I realized how much I like to sew. Not that I didn't already know it, but I guess I was just thinking about it, again. Last year I bought a very nice serger, and I really, really like it. Thirty years ago I bought my sewing machine, and I really, really like it, too. They are both Berninas and I think they are wonderful. I mentioned awhile back that my sewing machine needed some extra love, and it has just been awesome since. I was happy when the fix-it guy told me that it's still a great machine and is probably worth about $500-$600. Not that I plan to sell it, but it just tells me that it's still in good shape and if I wanted to sell it, I could. That was probably part of a great big plan for me to trade it in, knowing that I'd get some money out of it. But I love it and don't have plans to sell or trade it.
Yes I know it's only a couple of days before Christmas, and what am I doing just now sewing jammies? I cut them out--finally--yesterday. It was killing me, but every day has slipped by without having a chance to get it done. Or without taking the chances offered, I guess. So, now I only have one neckband to sew on. Then I'll be done! And I broke a thread and was in the midst of re-threading when Corky told me it was time to leave for work. See, I love sewing and had totally lost track of time. So (sew) I'll finish tomorrow.
You have to know this really isn't bad--I remember one Christmas Eve being at the fabric store searching for a pattern. I remember I had wanted to make matching nightshirts for the kids and couldn't find the pattern to fit Dante. So there I was, last minute, buying a pattern. That one was crazy. There have been other times when I was finished by December 1--I loved that feeling. One year I was helping someone else sew and didn't have time to sew my own--bought 'em. That's okay!
One time I made four extra pairs, plus our jammies. So how did I do that? Even last year I made three extra pairs--two pants (with pockets, flies, buttons and ties) and a nightgown. I gave those away. So why am I so behind this year?
Don't know. But I'm getting there!
So anyway, my point was, I really like to sew. I think I wander into another realm or something. I've learned a lot of little tricks over the years, and then for years I only sewed jammies and forgot a few things. But they come back. I think I just love making something--taking a long piece of fabric and actually having clothes when I'm done. I guess I feel like I'm doing something for my family, or for whoever. But I like it.
Maybe Barbie and Ken will appreciate the clothes I'm making for them. . .
1 comment:
Barbie, Ken AND their owners will LOVE the clothes!
I need to come sew with you and learn your tricks.
Post a Comment