Tuesday, January 11, 2011

A new year for Primary and I'm still the chorister. Yeah for Primary chorister! I think it's wonderful to have my very most favorite callings at the same time. Still. I love being with the kids and teaching the gospel through the Primary songs. There are some that are crazy and silly, but some that really truly explain exactly what we believe. And I love that. And I love being in Cub Scouts. My calling is actually changing, but I'm happy and excited and ready to stay in Cubs, but do something else.

I always like to have something to work toward in Primary--two years ago we did popcorn and had a large jar to fill with popcorn. As the kids sang well, they got a scoop. We were working to fill up the jar so we could eat a ton of popcorn. Then last year we did rice krispie treats, so we filled the jar with rice krispies, marshmallows (all sizes--including the huge Texas marshmallows), and M&Ms. They kind of got lost and we had to pass some of those around as a snack.

I was kind of getting tired of filling the jar and couldn't really think of anything that was cheap enough to fill it with and then throw it away since by October it may not be edible. We talked about it and started with sandwich fixings like a huge Subway, but came up with a whole picnic. So I made a double size poster and drew a picnic basket, complete with ants climbing up the side. I made it so it stands out from the poster and put in it a sandwich, drink, chips, chocolate cake, etc., all stuff for a picnic. As the kids learn the song, they earn a part of the picnic. And on the list of songs, I will put little ants that I drew to show they know that one. I think it will be fun.

We have changed to having the sharing/singing time with the whole Primary. So far it's kind of crazy, but I think they (they--the kids and us as leaders) will figure it out. We also have the last block, so the kids are tired. We'll see how it works. It's nice to think of only having to teach the song one time, but then there are things we do with the big ones that the little kids don't want or can't do and vice versa. But there have been lots of times, especially closer to the program, that I've wished all the kids were in the same room, just to see how it sounds, to see if they really know the song. It's kind of weird to think of teaching a song separately and then having them sing it all together--at the practice they kind of look at each other like, why are you singing this song? I did ask for a practice on a Sundy just to have them together, but now I don't have to! So I'm kind of excited about it.

And, and--this is the best part--the presidency decided to have our sharing time during the last hour, so I get to hear Corky teach his lesson in Sunday School. I was asked my opinion of the combining of the two groups, and I kept crossing my fingers that they'd choose the set-up this way. I haven't been able to hear him teach, and he's been there for a year. Sometimes I'd sneak out for a minute and peek in at him, but I never got to hear much. I think I need to hear a Sunday School lesson, too. I love being in Primary, but sometimes I think I let other areas slip. This will help remind me to be reading all the time. However, Corky gave me a Book of Mormon in Italian, so I'm going to be reading that most of the time, not the New Testament anyway. But that's okay, I recently (year before last) read the New Testmant (almost all of it), and when they reach the part where I left off, I'll read along. Okay, that sounds really lame, but as long as I'm reading, that's more what counts, right? Hope so, because that's my plan.

And, are you ready? I'm becoming a new woman. I have decided to try really hard to simply be more pleasant--to everyone. It's so easy to spew out a scathing remark, or notice how dumb some people can be (especially in the grocery store or on the street), or simply to think that my ideas are wonderful and truly are the best (because they really are, right?)--but not at the expense of others. So I'm trying really hard to just bite my tongue, literally. And I did on Sunday. I actually put my tongue between my teeth, but didn't draw any blood, when I wanted to say something. I knew it would cause an issue, so I just let it go. Holy cow. I let it go! I've been telling the kids to do that for a long time, but I think I have a harder time (presumably because I'm so old, as they are quick to remind me). But I did it. And if I can do it once, certainly I can do it again. Right? Please tell me I can. I think I will be happier, and it will only follow that other people around me will be happier, too. I know happiness is contagious, so I want to give that.

Today I went visiting teaching (I know, crazy, it's not even the last week of the month!) and the lesson said "You pass the heritage along as you help others receive the gift of charity. The history of Relief Society is recorded in words and numbers, but the heritage is passed heart to heart." This was from President Eyring--and I love what he said as far as "helping others receive the gift of charity." He didn't say, "as you give charity," but he talked about helping others receive it. That brings a lot of thoughts to my head. You can be very literal and say well you have to give it in order for others to receive it, but then he goes on to talk about passing our heritage (what the lesson was about) heart-to-heart. Isn't that how we receive it? One sister I've only visted in her home once before because of scheduling issues. She hasn't been here that long and was so anxious for me to come and visit. She even commented that she wanted to get to know me better becuase she needs friends. Isn't that what we're talking about? That's part of the heart-to-heart. We need each other. We need to feel loved and accepted for who we are. She needs that, so do I.

I'm glad it's a new year. I'm not trying to really set "New Year's Resolutions" because I rarely stick to them. But like I said, I'm going to be a new woman. So, check in again at the end of the year (or sooner) and see if anything is happening. Who knows how many other ways I might become NEW?

1 comment:

orangemily said...

I want to be a new woman with you!
I've been thinking recently that I should do the same thing and holding my tongue (although sometimes I slip up). So funny that we were both thinking the same thing. We can definitely do it if we work together!

I saw the picnic poster and wondered if you had made it. It is darling and such a fun idea!

I'm so glad you get to hear Corky's lessons too!