General Conference was wonderful--how cool to hear about the missionaries being able to leave at an earlier age. Simona and I were driving, well I was driving and she was the passenger, but we were listening to Conference when President Monson gave the announcement. Moni gasped, covered her face and could hardly breathe. That was her he was talking about--she turned 19 two weeks ago, making her eligible to go now, not in two years. Wow.
It's a totally different thing to think about going in a couple of years, and changing that to being able to go today. She started to breath and then she cried. She was excited. I dropped her off at work (working the pumpkin maze at Wheeler Farm), went home and talked to Dante, who was just as excited. This will affect him, too. It would have been wonderful for Taylor--he graduated, worked at scout camp, came home in the middle of August, sat for two months, got a temporary job for the next two months, then sat for two more months before he left. Dante will be in the same boat since his birthday is at the end of January (Taylor is December), so he would have to decide if he wanted to try and work (he'll probably be at scout camp, too), come home and sit for four months before leaving, or go to one semester of school. He can leave right after graduation, or go to camp and then go.
I just kept thinking what a wonderful blessing this is--for the kids as well as the people who are out there waiting to hear the gospel.
I listened to the Press Conference held by the Church where Elders Nelson and Holland spoke. I loved hearing Elder Nelson, but holy cow, I got chills when Elder Holland spoke. He was so excited and answered a lot of questions. I loved the part where he said, now youth, I want you to know this isn't about you. This is God hastening his work. Wow, again.
Heavenly Father needs more missionaries, and this is one way to get them. Now a lot of girls will make a more conscientious decision to go, not like some of Moni's friends who have said, well, if I'm not married when I'm 21 and don't have anything else to do, I guess I'll go on a mission. And not that everyone is like that--I went, and not because I didn't have anything else to do. But I think more young women will choose to be missionaries simply because that's what they want to do.
One neighbor commented that he thinks it will be great for the girlfriend/boyfriend thing--he goes, then just after that she goes, and the both come home on the same spiritual level. I like that.
It won't make a huge difference for Jake since his birthday is in August and he'll be 19 a couple months after graduation anyway. But, maybe those couple months will make a difference for him at that time.
I am excited for Simona to be a missionary. I hope it all works out, can I say that? I asked her today if she has any doubts about going, and she emphatically said no. She's nervous about it and a little worried, which is totally normal, but not doubting it. I'm glad. Also, several people have asked me right out--so when is Moni going? Has she talked to the Bishop yet? I told her about a couple of them, kind of hesitantly since sometimes that kind of thing bothers you and makes you want to do the opposite (or at least it does me--like when my mom would tell me to go practice the piano and I was already on my way, so then I'd turn around and walk out of the room just to show her), but she just smiled and said she was glad that people thought of her like that and not like, what? She wants to go? So that made me happy. Maybe I've just recently seen too many girls talk about going and then backing out. I don't want her to go because I want her to. She has to want to do this. But I don't know why I'd be worried about that; I don't think Moni has ever done anything just because I wanted her to. I'm sure she'd say otherwise, but I'd need to see some proof.
Being a missionary isn't easy, but it is wonderful. When else do you get to be a personal representative of the Savior? When else do you get to spend so much time learning and teaching the gospel? When else do you get to have that missionary mantle placed on you? Have the gift of tongues, even if it's in your own language? I can just see so many advantages from being a missionary, that I want everyone to have that opportunity. I know not everyone takes that opportunity or maybe really has it, but I still can want it for them, can't I? I really want it for my children. I love thinking that they could end up anywhere in the world--next door in Wyoming or on some far-off island that I've never even heard of. I'm already planning her wardrobe. And that's with not even knowing where she might go. Well, that's actually without even having had an interview or filled out one single bit of the paperwork. Okay, I'll wait. And, I'm feeling a tiny bit guilty because I just bought a skirt last month that would be perfect for a missionary, but I'm not going to give it to her. I love it! Maybe we can find another one. . .or I could make one! Do you think she'll finally let me sew for her? I remember coming home for two weeks before I left for the MTC and I had my sewing machine set up, and Mom sat at hers and we just sewed and sewed. We even bought a few things--I'd never had many store-bought clothes, but I did then. I think we just ran out of time.
Maybe I just don't want to get my hopes up in case something else gets in the way. But cross your fingers, will you?
No comments:
Post a Comment