Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The end of another school year

Dante had to give a report on New Zealand. Could he have chosen better?! How great was it to be able to tell about something he has grown up with. We even have Maori things to show. He borrowed Uncle Lynn's piupiu (grass skirt) and came running in hollering Kia Ora! He went right to the front and did the Potene, Potene haka. Then he told about New Zealand and finished with Ka Mate. I was really proud of him--he was confident and bold. The teacher from across the hall wanted him to come and do a haka for his class, and then he told his class that he wanted them to knock his socks off, just like Dante did. I had a proud boy.

We even made trifle for the class. I took a picture (with the whipped cream on top since you wouldn't be able to see anything. It was yummy.





Jake's class went to the Natural History Museum at the University of Utah--Taylor and Simona and I got to be helpers. The kids were all sad who didn't get to be in Taylor's group. I think they got over it.










They had this "toadally" cool exhibit--it was all a bunch of toads. Some of them looked like they were recently painted.












I went to the planetarium with Dante's class. It's been newly redone and is pretty cool. 6th graders are just not the same as the 2nd graders. They are all wonderful, just very different from each other. I'm so glad I got to go to both field trips. Both my boys have had wonderful teachers this year, and I'm actually sad to see the year end. I don't think I've ever felt that way before. I love having them home, but I just wonder what next year will bring.

1 comment:

orangemily said...

Dante's presentation was AWESOME! Thanks for inviting us. Your trifle was pretty awesome too, very tasty. I need to write down how to make it so I don't forget.
The field trips look fun!