Tuesday, June 23, 2009

The Falls

The Falls




Goofy Jake

The Whole Fam



More Falls



And again, more Falls


I love the Falls. Obviously Twin Falls was named for two falls, and I loved growing up near them. We spent a lot of time at the Falls. There are two parks with falls--Shoshone Falls and Twin Falls. They were the same, but different. I remember many family picnics at the Falls, ward picnics at the Falls, and mutual activities water skiing at the Falls. I had a boyfriend in high school whose best friend had a boat, so we spent a lot of time water skiing. I loved being on the water, gliding along. I haven't been on the water for oh so many years.
I remember one time getting stopped by a policeman while driving down the long winding road to the Falls. I was looking for a group of kids who were there for a Young Adult activity--we always had a hard time deciding which Falls everyone else decided to go to. They didn't show up where we were, so I volunteered to drive to the "other Falls" and see if they were there. I guess I drove too fast, and I got stopped. The policeman kind of chuckled and he made me go back up to the top and drive down again, this time counting how many speed limit signs there were. I was not happy, and now I was really late for the activity.
I remember climbing the rickety stairs (that are no longer there) and counting, and climbing, and counting some more. It was a big deal to say you had climbed those stairs. I know there were over 100, but I haven't been able to find out exactly how many, and of course, I don't remember.
I can look at many of the picnic spots and remember different reunions or parties that took place at those exact sites. I can see my aunts and uncles there, under a humongous pine tree, having family pictures. I remember one time we were planning a birthday party for Dad, and his sisters showed up. Of course we all went to the Falls. I can see Aunt Myrtle and Aunt Marion there, sitting at the table. I can picture playing catch and, naturally, doing a haka. I can see my parents young and vibrant at the ward breakfast, cooking on the big grills and keeping kids out of the stream. I can see my dad aged and feeble while his sons helped him across the lawn. I can see our last family reunion with all the kids wearing their Maori faces and sticking out their tongues. I can see family gathered, laughing and vying for a new pillow case.
I look forward to new memories; some will be similar, some people will be missing, but I can't wait to once again be at the Falls.




1 comment:

orangemily said...

Beautiful! It's so neat to have all those memories connected to a place you can revisit and share with others.