Wednesday, June 3, 2009



Here are a couple of books I've been reading. Again. I read these several years ago and decided to start over. They are murder mysteries, involving a caterer--so she gives great recipes--a little romance with a green-eyed cop, a rich friend and a rotten ex-husband.
I read the last of the Twilight books for Moni, Hook for Dante, several books for Jake, and now I decided to read these again, for me. They are fun, easy reading and I like the cooking info.
I finished the Book of Mormon at the first of the year, as well as finished the Illustrated BoM with Dante and Jake, but haven't picked it up again. I know that's terrible, but at least I'm honest. Why do I have such a hard time reading scriptures regularly? Sometimes I get going on one of the books (I almost finished the New Testament and then basically quit), but then I take a huge break. It's not like I can't read scriptures as well as a novel. I've read these books before and am reading them again. I love it when I do read scriptures, but when I get started on a novel, that's all I want to read until I finish. In fact it drives me crazy when I get to the half-way mark--I don't want to do anything until I'm done. But I'm just not that diligent with the books I should be reading.
I've never read the Old Testament all the way through. I know President Kimball did when he was just a kid. I guess that's why he ended up being prophet. I have read the other sets, more than once, but right now I'm just not. I should be a better example to my kids. My big kids read for Seminary, and that's wonderful. I'm glad Seminary motivates them--it's so much better than it was when I went to Seminary. I hated it. We had early morning, old, unenthusiastic teachers and met at the church. I admit I did like it my last year--and yes I am a Seminary graduate, but I didn't want to go when 9th grade started. I wasn't given the choice. Now I'm glad that my parents made me go--I'll never forget the shock on their faces when I informed them that I wasn't planning to attend Seminary. That's what I thought. My dad was up at 6:00 every day, made sure I was, too. He drove me to Seminary. Arlene was diligent--she was up even earlier because she had to be at school at 6:00 for drill team. She was always so good. Another thing for which I admire my big sis. Good thing I didn't have a little sister--she'd have been in trouble, I'm sure. I don't think Arlene ever did anything wrong. But, I digress.
So, I've rambled on. Hmm, where to go from here?
Read a book!

2 comments:

orangemily said...

I may have to borrow those books from you.
I started reading the Bible straight through (because I never had) and I'm only to Job. I read every night, but I admit half the time I'm falling asleep. I really should get up and read in the morning, but I like my sleep too much!

Luke and Niki said...

I love reading too but cant pick up a book unless someone tells me how good they are. Maybe I will try those out! i know what you mean about taking long breaks from the scriptures. I dont like to admit it but it happens.
I loved seminary too! Although mine was during the day. I loved the fact that I was able to escape and go learn of Heavenly Father and not have to worry about the whole high school bit for one hour!
I am curious to hear of more stories about my mom! Its always fun/weird to think that my parents had different lives before us kids came into the picture!