One of the things I loved was changing back into my regular clothes. I know that sounds weird because that also meant the fun was over, but we’d had a day full and I knew that we’d come back. When you get out of really warm water, you’re wet and any breeze makes you really cold. We went into these really old (can’t wait to see them now) dressing rooms that had wooden painted benches with cloth curtains. Different years they were painted different colors. But when I put on my street clothes, I felt so warm, and safe. Years later after I’d been to the temple for the first time and was putting on my new undies, I had that same feeling and was transported back to the dressing room at Nat-Soo-Pah. I experienced that same warm and safe feeling.
And a few years after that, I took Corky to Nat-Soo-Pah to meet my parents. They were there on a ward campout and we came up for the weekend. Labor Day weekend. We had stopped in Bountiful to get peaches for my mom from her favorite peach lady, Sister Ellis, and then went to Twin Falls to drop them off. I got my first kiss from Corky in our backyard. He tells the story differently than I do, but nonetheless, that’s where it happened. We at least agree on that part. Then we drove to Nat-Soo-Pah. I don’t know if they left directions, because I certainly couldn’t tell you how to get there now. Don’t think I could have then, either. That was the first time we had chicken from Albertsons—it was good. Corky and Uncle Chad stayed out in a tent and I slept in the camper with my parents. I really wanted to be out there—they were talking and having fun. I was just a tad bit jealous.
I remember birthday parties at Nat-Soo-Pah, too. One in particular, we drove out in the back of our neighbor’s camper—it was loaded with girls. I think we were probably about 13. They were really into trying to do a séance, but that really scared me. One of the things they said was, “if you are there, show a red light.” Right then the driver put on his brakes, and of course we were at the back of the camper and could see the brake lights. Everyone screamed! I remember I just kept praying—no, don’t do it! Help us not see any spirits. It really scared me. But after the red-light experience, they all stopped and moved on to something else, so I was glad. I think it was on that same trip that I first saw maggots in some meat. Yuck.
All in all, I have good memories of swimming at Nat-Soo-Pah. For me it was kind of like going down to the Falls—even though tons of people went to both of those places, they still belonged to us. I’m glad to be going there.
Wow, that was a lot of reminiscing. Sorry about that! But I had fun . . .
2 comments:
So fun!! You and my mom could be twins! :) tell ur kids to stop growing up so fast please!! :)
We missed you Lissy. My kids are not little any more, are they? It's crazy! I'll accept your mom as my twin--we did everything together and I love being with her. It was a great reunion!
Post a Comment