Wednesday, October 12, 2011


Eating curry. Yum!


Last Friday I went to this really cool bridal shower. It was "ballywood" and we were supposed to dress up. My dear friend, Emily, loaned me an outfit that was perfect for the occasion, and while I was racing home after picking up Corky from work and trying to hurry to the get the venue, I decided I needed make-up. Lots of make-up. And, since Corky is really good at applying make-up, and loves to do my make-up, I acquiesed. He loved it, and I ended up with a lot of make-up, and nearly won a "best dressed" prize. It was between me and one other lady, but she looked awesome in a sari that was purchased from India, and it was beautiful, and I thought she should win. So while she was pointing to me, I pointed to her, and I guess I pointed more forcefully, so she got the prize. But don't think I'm pouting about that, I'm glad. I loved the party, the outfit, and the make-up. But you know what I really loved? Helping my friend.



A couple of days before the shower, I got a call from my friend Sam who said, remember when you volunteered to help make refreshments for the shower? Would you help? Well, strangely enough--my kids wouldn't say it was strange because I'm constantly forgetting things--I don't remember having that conversation at all. But I didn't tell her that. I just listened, and they (she and the other gal in charge) needed help. So I helped. She suggested cupcakes, and I had a couple of other ideas, so we talked, chose what we wanted and made it.



We got together Friday morning and made tarts. I made the pie dough and we used little tart pans, you know, like muffin tins, but tiny. We didn't fill them until that night, but we used lemon pie filling and cherry pie filling. And of course, we used one of the nifty cans of whipped cream to put a creamy garnish of goodness on top. They were pretty. I have glass trays that show things off nicely--wedding presents, of course. And we made lemon bundt cake. Now I've only ever eaten it just like it is, but Sam suggested the berry sauce and some more whipped cream. Lovely. Just lovely. It was pretty and delicious. This is Corky's favorite cake and I know he wouldn't go for the fruity stuff added, but I loved it. And so did eveyone else. It was beautiful and delectable. I would defintely serve it like that again. We didn't use the canned cream this time--I whipped up the real stuff. So good. And Sam loved me becuase she was going to work on the berry sauce and cook it and add sugar, etc., etc. Are you kidding me? Just make the Danish Dessert and add the berries. So easy. (Yes, later she told me she loved me for that tip.) And we made punch. Lemonade, limeade and sprite. Terrific punch. I have a pretty punch bowl--a great $12 DI find. It came with tons of glass cups inside, the kind that go with the little glass trays. But at the bottom were the cups that matched the bowl, and they hang over the side. Bonus.



I got some strange looks when people first saw me--I never wear that much make-up. We all laughed--I wouldn't have done it if men had been at the party, but then we probably wouldn't have had a belly dancer come either. Holy cow, she was adorable! I loved watching her dance. She was so graceful and to put it simply, beautiful. I want that body! But even more than that, I'd love to be graceful and be able to move like she did. Wow. It was fun to watch her, and it was fun to watch people watching her. Everyone was enjoying it. I know there were some people invited who fussed about having a belly dancer, but they evidently didn't know how she'd be (and I think they didn't come, either, so they're probably still throwing fits). Totally tasteful and appropriate. We all even got to try. NO--I can't do it. But yes, I did get out there and try. Gratefully nobody took video of my efforts, but we did get some photos of my awesome make-up. You'll probably never see me like this again, so take a good look!







Wow, I think all that make-up makes me look really old--shows all the wrinkles. But, the lipstick stayed all night. How about that? My eyes were watering all night long, too, from the eyeliner. How do people wear all that stuff every day? I do love the earrings--from Emily, of course. She sells Paparazzi jewelry and had a ton of stuff to choose from. Thanks! I thought I had some "big" and dangly earrings, but these are dangly. I think I'm starting a new look for myself. With the earrings, that is.




It was a great night. And, I haven't even really talked about the shower. It was for a darling girl who grew up in our ward. Her mom passed away when this girl was only 12, so that was along time ago. She practically raised her little brother. But now her dad is getting remarried and moving in with the new wife, so this girl gets the house--her missionary got home a couple of months ago and now they're getting married. They met in Seminary in 10th grade. How fun is that? And so we get to keep her in our ward--nice because we all love her! We were all actually bawling at the shower because when she opened our gift, we told something about her. And of course, they were all sweet, tender-hearted things. I've never cried like that at a shower before. But it was very wonderful. I hope she felt loved. Isn't that what it's really all about?




And my friend, well she knew I loved her since I helped (even though I didn't remember offering previously), and I felt loved because I knew I was needed--and it was appreciated. She told me she knew that she could call me any time and I would help. That was a great compliment, and that's the kind of friend I've always wanted to be. I don't think I always see the need when it's there, but I'm glad someone feels like they can ask. It's taken a long time to attain that status here. We've lived in this ward for 13-1/2 years, and sometimes I feel like I'm just beginning to belong. Belonging is good.

1 comment:

NatMo said...

How fun is that?! I am so glad you ended up having a good time...and by the way, Corky did an awesome job!