Tuesday, November 22, 2011

November. A month of cooler weather. A month of baking new recipes as well as old favorites. A month of soup (well maybe a week's worth). A month of gratitude.

A couple of weeks ago in Sacrament Meeting, the speaker talked about gratitude and it made me think (yes, I listened). I remembered a couple of talks entitled "An Attitude of Gratitude"--one by President Monson and President Faust. I really like both of these talks.

The speaker also started a list of things he was grateful for, and since I was in charge of the lesson for Family Home Evening that night, I dug up these talks, read parts of them, and then we started our lists. One thing to be grateful for for each day of the month of November.

In no particular order:

1. Food. I've never gone hungry.
2. TV. I like watching TV with my family--it brings us news, important information, as well as entertainment.
3. Corky. I am still amazed that he really loves me and has stuck with me for all these 25 years. I love that he thinks of me, helps out, understands the things I need. He is kind, tender hearted and loving.
4. Taylor. I am so glad he chose to be a missionary, without hesitation. I am grateful he is having his missionary experience and enjoying it!
5. Our Home. At one time I thought we might never had a house, and yet here we are! We are safe, comfortable and together. We are a family, in our home.
6. Seminary. I didn't love Seminary when I took it, but it has, gratefully, changed since then. I'm glad my kids love it. Their testimonies have grown because of Seminary.
7. Books. I'm glad we have books because we can learn new things and go new places. I love that people are creative and can write down the stories in their heads.
8. Indoor plumbing. Hallelujah! I'm glad I live in a time with indoor plumbing (and feminine hygiene). Whew. Need I say more?
9. Music. I'm not a great musician by any means, but I really enjoy music. I think a lot of music has been truly inspired by God to let us know that he is mindful of us.
10. Parents and parents-in-law. I'm very grateful for their testimonies and their sacrifices for us.
11. Job. Even though I'd rather be home, I'm so grateful to have the money for our house and other things we need. I have a good job and work with good people.
12. School. I'm so thankful for people who have gone to school to be able to teach my children--they do much better learning from someone other than only me.
13. Modern Appliances. I'm grateful not to have to shovel coal or gather wood for a cookstove. It's so nice to have an electric stove, dishwasher, washer and dryer, and all the other wonderful modern inventions that make our lives easier.
14. Simona. I love being with Moni when she wants to be with me. We have fun together, learn a lot together. She is sweet, tender and thoughtful. I'm really proud of her with her choices for the future. Pretty cool stuff.
15. Dante. He is so eager to please me--he's terribly smart and talented. Dante can be whatever he wants to be. He is a good brother and has moments of being a peacemaker. He's a good helper and has a fun sense of humor.
16. Jake. He has been my little buddy for the last few years since it's just the two of us while he's off-track and getting ready for school. He has a little temper sometimes and gets mad at me, but still always wants my approval. He's not quite ready to let go. He is a budding artist and generous of spirit.
17. Computers. Corky and I both work with computers as a main source for our jobs. So much can be learned and understood because of them--I like the wide scope of information available.
18. Sisters. I'm so grateful to have sisters to share my life with. I have many good memories with them. I miss being close to them.
19. Gospel. I'm am truly thankful for the truth to be on the earth at the same time I am. My life would be completely different without it. I'm happy to have a glimpse of understanding of the Plan of Salvation.
20. Italy. My life is forever changed because of the people of Italy. I learned from them how to love others and how grateful I am for my life. It was incredible to be in a land that is spoken of in the New Testament. Kind of breathtaking to see all the ruins and artifacts and know that people so many years ago lived and breathed in the very same place.
21. Pioneer Heritage. It is incredible to me how my ancestors readily accepted the gospel and willingly walked across the country so they could worship the way they believed without any discrimination.
22. Gardens. I with I could grow a beautiful garden like my dad. I'm glad I could see how plentiful his was and how he always shared his bounty with others. I'm glad there are some people who seem to be able to grow a garden!
23. Prophets. I'm thankful for old-time prophets in the scriptures to teach us, for Joseph Smith and others from the early church who had so much courage. I'm thankful for a current prophet who understands our time and lets us know what Heavenly Father would have us do.
24. Mary. I love how Mary said "Behold Thy handmaiden." She was totally willing to do whatever was asked of her. I need to be more like Mary.
25. My body. Even though I may not have a beautiful body, it functions! Many people have so many physical limitations. I'm lucky to be healthy.
26. Landscape. I love the diversity of the land we live in and am grateful for the mountains, the grass, the trees, the flower, the lakes and streams. I love that our earth has so much to see and enjoy.
27. Temple. I got to take two of my kids to the temple in Twin Falls to do baptisms for the dead. It was wonderful. Ever since it was built, we have tried to get there, but it never worked out until this weekend. The workers were so sweet and helpful (they always are), and I loved being there with my mom and my kids. I even did some baptisms. We got 30 women and 20 men baptized. How wonderful. I love being in the temple. I love that we can do work for our relatives.
28. Savior. I don't even have words for how I feel about our Savior, Jesus Christ. I am so grateful that He loves us and wants the best for us. I know He is mindful of me, you and everyone. I am thankful He sacrificed for each of us so we can be more like Him.
29. Friends. I feel like I have some very wonderful friends--people who love me, even though my faults are obvious. They are somehow willing to overlook those things and find something good in me. For that I'm grateful. It's so nice to know that I can call on people when I need help--and they help! It's fun to have someone to buy things for, to call and chat with, to cry when they need a listening ear. I hope I can be as good a friend to others as they have been to me.
30. Life itself. That may be lame. But that's what I can think of. I am grateful to be alive. I am thankful that somehow I was born and have a chance to live, to love, to know pain and sorrow--to feel.

3 comments:

NatMo said...

Amen

Anna said...

wa? no 29 and 30?
good post.

Loved your previous one too by the way. Can't believe Corky did the make up! How fun. Maybe he can teach Adam...

orangemily said...

Love your gratitude list!