Tuesday, July 3, 2012

Happy 4th of July, 2012!  I can't believe what year it is and how long ago our country declared it's independence.  So many years, and so many trials, troubles, wars and contentions.  So much good, love, kindness and generosity in the very same world.  It's amazing to me that these things totally exist together, but they most certainly do.  I see it in every aspect of life.  It would be easy to concentrate on those things that are wicked, evil or just plain bad, but I'm glad there are good things to think about.  I have so much to be grateful for--family, home, country and the gospel.  Doesn't every good thing stem from one of those?

I am thankful for two fathers who fought for our freedom.  They are both gone, but their memories live on and the gratitude is still there.  Grandad, in a moment when he was "back in the the time of WWII," was talking about going to war.  His son asked why he wanted to do that.  His comment was something along the lines of, "I wouldn't be able to call myself an American if I weren't willing to fight for my country."  I think most all the young men of that time felt the same way.  I am grateful for them.

Family is everything!  I cannot imagine what life would be like without my husband.  Every day I look forward to speaking with him (some days I don't really see him because of crazy work schedules), but generally we have a few moments on the phone during those days.   Tomorrow I get to see him all day long.  My kids bring such joy to me.  Life would be so strange without them.  We were married for almost five years before Taylor was born, and we had a great time together before that.  But looking back, it seems that our life together finally started when we had our first child.  The rest was just playtime and none of it really mattered.  Having children, raising a family, struggling together, growing, learning, laughing and loving.  Those are the things that matter.  That's what we'll be able to take with us and keep and hold forever.  I am so grateful to be a mother.  Jobs don't matter.  Someone commented years ago when I started working part time, oh now you'll have some Sally time.  Now you'll be able to be you.  What?  What does that even mean?  I feel like I'm more "me" with my kids than without them.  Of course it's nice to have a few moments to myself now and then, but working and being away from my family is not "me."  Even though I like my job and the people I work with, I'd much rather be home with my family.  I'm totally jealous of every moment I spend away from them.

I love my house.  I love being there.  Of course there are things that need to be fixed, updated or simply replaced.  And of course I one had a dream of a humongous house, but now I realize that's just more to clean, furnish and upkeep.  Sometimes I've visited big fancy houses and felt a tiny bit jealous, but when I returned home to my house, I knew I was home and I had such a wash of relief come over me, that I've never felt that way again.  I am grateful for my house, my home.  The place where we are a family together, where we can "be" who we are.

I think I've always had a testimony of the gospel of Jesus Christ.  But I think as I grow older and my opportunities in the Church change, I realize how important and how much a part of me the gospel really is.  There are days when I feel like I'm just going through the motions of being a Mormon, but then I know what I need to do.  It's like what President Spencer W. Kimball said: “I find that when I get casual in my relationships with divinity and when it seems that no divine ear is listening and no divine voice is speaking, that I am far, far away."  We all know what we need to do to bridge that gap, but it's just the doing of it.  It's so easy to get caught up in the daily "stuff"--all the stuff that doesn't really matter.  I think it's time to get back on the "do what I need to do" bandwagon.

I am grateful to live in this country.  I am grateful for my family, my home and my religion.  I am truly thankful to know that Heavenly Father knows me personally.  I have no doubt about that.  I am thankful for His love.

1 comment:

orangemily said...

I always love what you have to say!